The Messersmith family enjoyed their new home in Pleasant Valley so much that they sent for Mrs. Messersmith’s brother-in- law and his family, the Moses Lennevilles of St. Paul. They arrived on September 7, 1881 and the settlement's first private dwelling was built for them near the water tank and eating station.
Frame shacks rose on the prairie surrounding the railroad tracks during the ensuing months. The first private building, a saloon, was made of lumber with a canvas top. Another shack went up and became a store, supplying the buffalo hunters, rail workers, and the frontiersmen. The population of the settlement was estimated at 50 that first year of 1881.
One of Pleasant Valley's first visitors in the fall of 1881 was Wells S. Dickinson, who oversaw land grants for Northern Pacific. Later that fall, H.L. Dickinson, a cousin of Wells S. Dickinson, visited this prairie outpost and realized the opportunities available in Pleasant Valley.