Buffalo hunters shipped out bales of hides and boxes of bones in those early days before the great beast disappeared from the land. These hunters bought their provisions from the early merchants, sending out their wagon teams in all directions to gather hides.
The spring of 1883 saw renewed activity in Dickinson. At this time, Dickinson was considered a part of Morton County. After months of negotiations, Stark County, Dakota Territory, was formally organized on May 30, 1883. The building that housed the newspaper was used as the first courthouse until one was constructed in 1886 with a $15,000 bond issue.
The Dickinson area experienced agricultural growth along with business growth throughout the 1880s. The first shipment of livestock from Dickinson took place in the fall of 1883. Records show that about 1,219 carloads of beef were sent to the Chicago market, representing about 26,818 head. These were sold for $1,206,710 and raising stock had now begun in southwest North Dakota.